Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Disability Political Action Groups? Damned I Can Find Any

With all of the kerfuffle about Social Security and Medicare, I'm not seeing any activist groups made up of the disabled.  We receive Social Security Disability (in my case, a pittance).  With all of the other cuts, many of us are going to be royally screwed when it comes to healthcare, food stamps, etc. etc.

Several of my caregivers no longer take Medicare.  Or, in some cases, I have to pay for services I didn't have to before this calendar year.

The language of the discussion of benefits has taken an interesting linguistic turn.  What used to be called "services"  and "benefits" are now called "entitlements."  As if people feel "entitled" to these benefits and don't deserve them.  They are no longer services, they are demands.  So now the politicians can further demonize the poor, disabled, and anyone who needs government assistance.

I thought I'd find a disability political action group protesting the upcoming cuts and the attempted rollback of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare).  However, everything I can find is out of date, or is mostly about jobs and access.  Where is the movement?  Where is our Occupy Wall Street?  (I am trying so hard not to make the joke Occupy Wheelchair--oops.) 

If anyone can point me in the direction of a political action group, please do. 'Cause the Internet is coming up short.  And no, that's not a little people joke.  Actually, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment