Wednesday, June 1, 2016

R.I.P. Prince.... Prince and Morris Day, Part One

Ever since Prince's death in late April, I have been obsessively posting videos and pictures to my Facebook, Twitter and Live Journal accounts.  I couldn't even tell you why.

Then I remembered: I have a blog!  The perfect place to bring it all together!  So starting today, it's going to be PRINCE-O-RAMA around here!

There are fantastic pictures posted on Morris Day And The Time's Facebook page.  Along with Andre' Cymone, Morris and Prince were high school friends.  Here's just a few!






Here's Prince at COACHELLA in 2008, with Morris Day & The Time, and Sheila E.!



This is a MUST-READ article about Day, Prince, and their fractious relationship over the years, from the Guardian:  

Cult heroes: Morris Day – Purple Rain rival who almost stole Prince's thunder 

They came up together. Born in Minneapolis just six months apart, Morris Day and Prince Rogers Nelson played in their first band, Grand Central  later renamed Champagne, while still at high school. The band’s manager was Day’s mother. The duo’s relationship thereafter consisted of back-and-forth favours (and occasional fallings-out). Day wrote the song Partyup for Prince’s Dirty Mind album in 1980, and Prince brought Day in to replace Alexander O’Neal as lead singer of the Time.


Jeff and I saw "Purple Rain" when it first came out.  Then we saw it again recently at a midnight showing.  More about that in a later entry, which will also give me an excuse to post a buttload of videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment